Sunday, November 13, 2011

books galore

Because my birthday was Friday and I had a meet Saturday morning I planned my birthday party for Saturday night. My meet went...okay, I shaved a second off of my 400m free and about 20s off of my 200m free but I have no clue how I did on my 100m fly. My shoulder was hurting really bad throughout the whole meet, I finished my races though! But I don't know if in the long run it will benefit me because my shoulder is really bad today... Apperently during my 400m free my arms were great and finally reaching again but during the 100m fly they were really short...whatever.

What I wanted to talk about however was my party, it was a blast and I had a great time with all of my friends who came over! I was really shocked with how many gifts I got, I loved them all. I recieved a bunch of little bits and bobs that kind of all have meaning, little bee slippers because I am a Seabee, candles...because I am obsessed. Shantel and her mum both got me great seperate gifts, Bonnie gave me some dishtowels and a cookbook for my Hope Chest and Shantel went for the more girlie route giving my make-up and brushes and nail polish.

The funny thing is though from four different friends I recieved Indigo gift cards... They really know me well! I was ecstatic to open up my cards and now cannot wait to go and shop! I always have a list of books that I really want to buy so this week, or more than likely next weekend I am all excited to go to Indigo, maybe splurge and purchase a Starbucks hot beverage and then walk around and find me some new books! Even though I still have a closet full of books I haven't read yet...

The List of Books I am Currently Lusting After:


The Maze Runner by James Dashner- Recommended by a close friend during the summer I have been wanting to pick this up since then, Thomas loses consciousness in an elevator, and wakes up with a group of boys in an outdoor expanse called The Glade. He can help them all escape-but only if he can unlock the dark secrets buried with his mind.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver- A story about a popular teenager who lives the last day of her life seven times over with variations daily. I did a short review on this last week and have decided I want to go and purchase it, I am someone who loves to own the book even if I have already read it. I feel the need to add it to my collection.

* The Fault in Our Stars by Hank Green- The story of a fifteen year old girl with a terminal illness, cancer. Hank reads the first chapter of this book on his YouTube channel and I adored it so I finally decided to jump the gun and go pre-order it! So excited to finally have the money to do so.

* Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson- The story of a woman who lost her memory two decades previously and wakes up every morning in an unfamiliar bed with an unfamiliar man. This man must explain that he is her husband, Ben, and that she lost her memory two decades earlier in an terrible accident and it has decimated her ability to form new memories. This book promises a plot twist, which I must admit are one of my favorite aspects to a book, and seems like it will be a great read.

Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist by Michael J Fox- One of the only non-fiction novels on this list but some days I can be quite the pessimist and actually had this pointed out to me the other day so I thought this book would be an interesting read. I always love inspirational quotes or stories so because I have been in little rut the last little bit I think this may be what I need to read. Michael talks about how he got through his dark days with his head held high and I think all of us have those days so it will be nice for some advice.

*Out of my Mind by Sharon M. Draper- The powerful story of a girl struggling to let the world know that on the outside she might be suffering from cerebral palsy, but on the inside is a brilliant girl wainting to be heard. I guess my heart went out to the main character in this novel, as she promises to be smart but struggling to make it apparent. All in all it sounds like something I would be interested in as it promises angst.

Cornered by Ron MacLean with Kirstie McLellan Day- I am a huge hockey lover and always look foward to Hockey Night in Canada with Don Cherry and Ron MacLean every Saturday night. Another non-fiction, this book is a type of biography of Ron MacLean's job history, from his early days to now, this greatly appeals to the sports fan in me.

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman- "Tennyson is freaked out because his sister Bronte is dating Bruiser, the toughest looking kid in school. But appearances are not what they seem...the bruises and scars on Bruiser's body don't belong to him. A story of abuse, recovery, and the courage to go on." I am a little unsure about this book as it comes off as a little cliched. I am sure that if it was bought for me I would have no problem reading it but I am hesitant to go and spend my own money on it.

*If I Stay by Gayle Forman- "One moment Mia is driving with her family-the next she is watching her damaged body being pulled out of a car wreck. As she lays in a coma, Mia must decide whether or not she will fight to survive." This book appeals to be greatly-again because of the angst, even though you just know she will survive-I love the whole will-she, won't-she struggle. This book I would not mind buying for myself.

*The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern- I don't even know how to begin to summarize this book, it is about a circus that arrives at night and is about the competition between two young magicians, male and female using their talent. The reader however knows the secret that this competition is a battle to the death. I have heard many rave reviews about this online so I cannot wait to go into the store and see for myself!

*mark the books I am most excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment