Monday, April 23, 2012

An Amazing Last Week

I remember a few weeks ago I had signed onto Edline and saw that I was practically failing English, after having a really rough week with my teacher I was quite upset about this and after seeing my less than stellar note in French I promptly broke into tears. Following which I ran to the bathroom and cried my little heart out. After I got myself together I went back out and checked my e-mail, I had received an e-mail from someone telling me that my poem was accepted into a magazine. Of course, this made my burst into tears yet again and give my mother a great, big hug. It was a big hurrah and I felt like shoving it in my English teacher's face, but that would be entirely inappropriate and immature, so I did a victory dance with my mum instead.

The poem I am talking about is a poem I wrote back in the fall of 2009 about my, then sick, friend. Unfortunately, he passed away in February of 2010. I think that because he is no longer with us, this poem has brought on a new meaning to me, personally. Reading the poem over again a few years later of course I am critical and the writing isn't really the best, there are lines that I could go back and word differently to give a bigger impact but I almost don't want to, scratch that, I don't want to. This poem comes from a very different part of my life. While it was written only a few years ago, it feels like decades. I was a completely different person back then and because of this the poem has a special place in my heart they way it is. It was before "my turning point". Back when I was younger and a lot more naive.

With everything that has been happening these last few weeks it just feels incredible. I got the invitation today inviting me to the launch of this magazine and I felt like crying. Holding this invitation in my hands it makes it so real, I don't even know how I will feel when I see my name in print. I also received another invitation to another writing seminar, this one with a small fee and transportation. I know that I should take it, especially with the enticing prospect of one-on-one with an author but I just don't know. Maybe because next week is another short week and I don't want to miss more school but I just don't know if I want to go. Of course, I said that at first about the last one didn't I? I know that it would be a great opportunity...the more I think of it, they more it sounds interesting, I could edit a piece of work of mine and bring it in to see what they say...

I also finished up the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Study Group I was a part of since back in January, it is great to be able to go back to going to school everyday and not worrying about missing work but I am really going to miss this group. It was hard work at times but I sincerely enjoyed everything that we learned and all of the people we were given a chance to meet.

Last week was amazing in many different ways and I hope that it goes up from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment